Tess of The D'Urbervilles
- Tess of the D’Urbervilles
- By Thomas Hardy
- With Forty One Wood Engravings by Vivien Gable
- Macmillan and Co., London, 1926
- Book: 160mm x 230mm x 53mm
- Box: 187mm x 262mm x 77mm
- Bound in 2012
- Collection of Edward Bayntun-Coward, UK
Full leather binding in red goatskin with miscellaneous leather onlays and inlays in black, cream, brown, yellow and greens.
The leather is embroidered over the onlays with coloured silks and metallic threads using a variety of embroidery stitches.
There is a piece of oak veneer inlaid into the cover and a piece of 9ct yellow gold wire making up the bucket handle.
Sections of the cover leather are washed with acrylic paint before embroidering.
Carbon tooling and flecks of gold tooling scattered over the whole book.
Oak box, mitred at the corners with routed channels holding decorated panels in place.
Front and back panels are constructed from frosted acrylic with cut out sections revealing gold foil tooling and sewn detail on printed paper.