La Prose du Transsbérien
- La Prose du Transsbérien
- A recreation by Kitty Maryatt of the original 1913 binding by Blaise Cendrars and Sonia Delaunay
- Two Hands Press, California, USA, 2018
- Book: 372mm x 110mm x 21mm
- Box: 392mm x 135mm x 45mm
- Bound in 2019
- Collection of Neale Albert, New York, USA
A concertina binding with a blue goatskin spine and vellum covered boards. The case for this concertina binding was made by making a false round from a half-round wooden dowel. This was covered in layers of watercolour paper followed by a layer of aerolinen and leather to finish off the spine and attach the boards to it.
Description of Design
The author of the book, Blaise Cendrars, lost his right arm in WW1 and had to learn to write with his left hand following this. Taken from examples of his actual handwriting, the left-hand board (back) has part of the story transcribed in his left hand and the right hand board (front) in his right hand. The words are intricately embroidered using the colours and patterns taken from the wonderfully vibrant pochoir of Sonia Delaunay.